Saturday, March 11, 2017

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1710

Dear Readers,

there was no post last weekend because I was on sick leave and slept most of the time. I received my copy of Horizon: Zero Dawn.Fortunately I found some time in the past days to get into the game. I love it.. Graphics are awesome, the controls work excellent, the story is interesting, and the fights are challenging. 
I try to split my spare time between reading and playing.
My wife and I wanted to see Logan but we hat to postpone. We will start our next attempt on upcoming Monday.

 

ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
  2. The book bag
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Survivors
  2. They do it again
  3. Scandal
  4. Sad story
  5. A special Victorian supper
  6. Painted characters
  7. You can hear the difference

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Mass Effect Andromeda

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms quote related to little things
The Lighthouse
Reading slowed down a lot but it will change. So I finished no book.



I finished

- no book



Current read


Yes, I'm reading real books.


I'm


- 189 pages in of Saturn Run (pb, this edition January 2017) [ISBN-13: 978-1101987520] by John Sandford.
A small progress

- 65 pages in London: A Travel Guide Through Time ( hc, 18th June 2015)[ISBN-13: 978-0718179762] by Dr Matthew Green.
No progress due to sickness.

My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.

-6% done in Kings of the Wylds (digital, 21st February 2017) [KINDLE ASIN: B01KFR65F6] by Nicholas Eames
No progress due to sickness

- 16 % done in The Forgotten War (digital, 16th February 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00II69U22] by Howard Sargent
No progress



The Book Bag

This is my reading project for 2017 which has been inspired by  receiving of a digital copy of  The Heart of What Was Lost: A Novel Of Osten Ard (digital, 3rd January 2017) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M9CJ425] by Tad Williams.

No progress


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Sickness does not prevent me from receiving books ordered in advance. Furthermore I bought some digital copies after recovering due to good offers.

As far as I know it does not happen often that an author use the same world for three series. After the Maradaine Constabulary and the Thorn of Dentonhill author Marshall Ryan Maresca opens the new series Streets of Maradaine  with
The Holver Alley Crew (digital, 7th March 2017) [KINDLE ASIN: B01H17UDM].
"Mixing high fantasy and urban fantasy, The Holver Alley Crew is the first novel of Maresca’s third interconnected series set in the fantasy city of Maradaine-- The Streets of Maradaine.

The Holver Alley Fire incinerated Asti and Verci Rynax’s plans to go legit and live a simple, honest life. With no home, no shop, and no honest income, they fall back on their own ways and begin staging what should be a simple heist.

But the plans go awry when the brothers discover that the fire was no accident. Their new mission is vengeance—and they’ll do anything to take down those who burned them, no matter what the cost." [Source]
Crime fiction author Ed James is also working on three series where the main character of the Scott Cullen Mysteries appears from time to time in the Craig Hunter series and now the second book in the series has been published. I talk about Hunted (digital, 5th March 2017) [KINDLE ASIN: B06XFB123F] by Ed James.
"Continuing the new series from the bestselling author of the DI Fenchurch and the Detective Scott Cullen Scottish crime novels.

DC Craig Hunter of Police Scotland's Sexual Offences Unit. Ex-Army. Back doing the work that drives him, that makes a difference.

Private Sean Tulloch. Squaddie. Monster. He charms women. Moves in, dominates them, abuses them. Under investigation by the Sexual Offences Unit and the Royal Military Police, his partner Paisley Sanderson receives a threat. Soon she's in hospital and Tulloch is in the wind.

Now, Hunter and DS Chantal Jain must hunt Tulloch down before he can strike again. Where is he? How did he know they were investigating him? A simple trip to Portugal soon grows out of control. Will Hunter take down Tulloch before his already horrific crimes escalate? Are the Army Police really on their side? Is DI Bruce really hunting a missing child or do his intentions lie closer to Chantal? Can Hunter and Chantal overcome their very different but very similar demons? And, in Sean Tulloch, has Hunter finally met his match?

HUNTED is a fast-paced police procedural, full of action and suspense that will grip you until its breathless conclusion." [Source]
Of course I still like to read fantasy and when I saw a good offer for the following book which has been on my to buy list for a long time, I could not resist and bought a copy of  Hope and Red (digital, 28th June 2016) [ KINDLE ASIN: B06XFB123F] by Jon Skovron which is the first book in the Empire of Storms series.
"In a fracturing empire spread across savage seas, two young people from different cultures find common purpose.

A nameless girl is the lone survivor when her village is massacred by biomancers, mystical servants of the emperor. Named after her lost village, Bleak Hope is secretly trained by a master Vinchen warrior as an instrument of vengeance.

A boy becomes an orphan on the squalid streets of New Laven and is adopted by one of the most notorious women of the criminal underworld, given the name Red, and trained as a thief and con artist.

When a ganglord named Deadface Drem strikes a bargain with the biomancers to consolidate and rule all the slums of New Laven, the worlds of Hope and Red come crashing together, and their unlikely alliance takes them further than either could have dreamed possible." [Source]

The last book for today has been published first in 1994. I bought a digital copy for two reasons, I got hooked by the description and there was a cheap offer.
I talk about Dangerous Lady (digital, this edition 4th September 2008) [ KINDLE ASIN: B002TXZTP2] by Martina Cole.
"No one thinks a seventeen-year-old girl can take on the hard men of London's gangland, but it's a mistake to underestimate Maura Ryan: she's tough, clever and beautiful —and she's determined that nothing will stand in her way. Which makes her one very dangerous lady.
Together, she and her brother Michael are unbeatable: the Queen and King of organised crime, they run the pubs and clubs, the prostitutes and pimps of the West End. With Maura masterminding it, they pull off an audicious gold bullion robbery and have much of the Establishment in their pockets. But notoriety has its price. The police are determined to put Maura away once and for all —and not everyone in the family thinks that's such a bad idea. When it comes to the crunch, Maura has to face the pain of lost love in her past —and the dangerous lady discovers her heart is not made entirely of stone." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey  from the beehive blogosphere...

Surivors

The Great Fire of London in 1666 destroyed a lot of buildings but not all. It is nearly unbelievable that after more than 350 years you still can see some buildings or at least part of them. For details visit The Londonist and have a look at




They do it again
At first I thought it was kind of joke but indeed it is true. I'm happy that one of my famous characters will return on screen. Read the news over at boingboing




Scandal
Nowadays it would not raise any attention but in the 16th century .....
Atlas Obscura revealed a 16th century scandal in Venice. For details please read



Sad story
Not all children are lucky to enjoy their childhood. It happened in the past and it happens nowadays that parents exploit their children. When you read the following story over at The Londonist you may ask yourself why nobody interfered.



A special Victorian supper
I think it is not impolite to say that some Victorian people showed a bizarre behaviour and taste. Ian Visits delivers a good example for that



Painted Characters
This is just amazing. Head over to Atlas Obscura and enjoy




You can hear the difference
You may ask hear the difference between what. I talk about the difference between cold and hot water. Thanks to boingboing for sharing the following video:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

My daughter played the Mass Effect games. I was not really interested in. That may change with Mass Effect Andromeda. The more information I get the more I'm interested in. I like the open world elements, more freedom in character development and the emphasis of exploration. The launch trailer is excellent.





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I think the quote fits perfectly to the author ......

"It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important."

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, British writer and physician, 1859 - 1930

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That poor fat kid. He was big for his age, but his parents let his weight get out of control in the first place.
The living paintings were just amazing.
Hope all the illness is past.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
unfortunately my wife is ill again. This is really sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...