Saturday, February 25, 2017

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1708

Dear Readers,

resistance is futile! How true. Since more than a week my wife has a terrible cough. The doctor said she was one step away from pneumonia. Now she is on medics and slowly, slowly recovering. Till Friday I was full of hope not to be infected but my resistance was futile. Now I'm coughing too and my nose is running. Nevertheless it seems I cope a bit better. We will see.
So far my mind is not too foggy to prepare a proper post.
 

ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
  2. The book bag
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. River Thames 1959
  2. A strong woman from the 19th century
  3. Passports
  4. When a language dies

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  2. Genesis Alpha One

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms quote related to character
The Lighthouse
Despite the fact I was on a business trip last week, I could finish three books and started two new ones. But I stopped one of them.



I finished

- The Crossing Places (digital, this edition January 2017) [KINDLE ASIN: B004EYT57C] by Elly Griffiths.
"Reading taste change when you get older. This book is one more proof for me.
This book has been published first in 2009 - a time when I was not really interest in crime fiction.
That changed I lot. Now I'm on my way to discover authors new to me and I'm more than happy that I read "The Crossing Places".
Dr Ruth Galloway, a no more longer young female archaeologist struggling with her weight and other problems. But she loves her job. DCI Harry Nelson disenchanted beside the fact of a perfect marriage. But he loves his job.
I highly appreciated the interaction between them and how passionate they are when it comes to work. The mix of archeology and crime is well done done.
"



Current read




Yes, I'm reading real books.


I'm


- 107 pages in of Saturn Run (pb, this edition January 2017) [ISBN-13: 978-1101987520] by John Sandford.
In the beginning I was a bit disappointed. But now it is getting better and better.

- 65 pages in London: A Travel Guide Through Time ( hc, 18th June 2015)[ISBN-13: 978-0718179762] by Dr Matthew Green.
What an absolutely awesome book. I finished my first time travel and I'm mesmerized.


My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.

-6% done in Kings of the Wylds (digital, 21st February 2017) [KINDLE ASIN: B01KFR65F6] by Nicholas Eames
Right after my taste.

- 16 % done in The Forgotten War (digital, 16th February 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00II69U22] by Howard Sargent
No progress



The Book Bag

This is my reading project for 2017 which has been inspired by  receiving of a digital copy of  The Heart of What Was Lost: A Novel Of Osten Ard (digital, 3rd January 2017) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M9CJ425] by Tad Williams.

I'm so happy that I started to read London: A Travel Guide Through Time ( hc, 18th June 2015)[ISBN-13: 978-0718179762] by Dr Matthew Green because it is absolutely amazing.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I received the digital copy of book which seems to by right after my taste when it comes to epic fantasy - a story of retired mercenaries. I started to  read an like it a ot even after a few pages.
I talk about Kings of the Wylds (digital, 21st February 2017) [KINDLE ASIN: B01KFR65F6] by Nicholas Eames which is the first in a new series.
"GLORY NEVER GETS OLD.

Clay Cooper and his band were once the best of the best -- the meanest, dirtiest, most feared crew of mercenaries this side of the Heartwyld.

Their glory days long past, the mercs have grown apart and grown old, fat, drunk - or a combination of the three. Then an ex-bandmate turns up at Clay's door with a plea for help. His daughter Rose is trapped in a city besieged by an enemy one hundred thousand strong and hungry for blood. Rescuing Rose is the kind of mission that only the very brave or the very stupid would sign up for.

It's time to get the band back together for one last tour across the Wyld." [Source]


Even if you do not read crime novels I'm pretty sure that the name of Agatha Christie is not unknown to you. I never read one of her books but I love the movies with Margaret Rutherford starring as Miss Jane Marple.
In her early writing career her books have been published by The Bodley Head.
At the same time this publisher had a contract with Annie Haynes. She belongs to the list of lost ladies of the Golden Age of crime fiction. a wrote a dozen crime novels before she died in 1929. Her books were well-regarded in England.
Thanks to publisher Dean Street Press all her books are available in digital format since 2016.
For more information about Annie Haynes and her books I highly recommend to read




Why do I mention this? Because I got digital copies of all twelve books for just
5.44 EURO ( = 5,76 USD; = 4.59 GBP) and because I want to know why  people liked to read her books.
The following omnibus contains seven of her twelve novels.
Annie Haynes - Ultimate Collection of Golden Age Murder Mysteries (digital, this edition 9th April 2013) [KINDLE ASIN: B01I0ARWIE] by Annie Haynes.
"This carefully crafted ebook: “ANNIE HAYNES - Ultimate Collection of Golden Age Murder Mysteries: Complete Inspector Furnival & Inspector Stoddart Series (Thriller Classics)” is formatted for your eReader with a functional and detailed table of contents: “The Abbey Court Murder” – Lady Judith Carew finds herself in the middle of a gruesome murder at the Abbey Court and all the clues point at her direction. Is she the real murderer?
“The House in Charlton Crescent” – Lady Anne is herself at the receiving end of a puzzling murder mystery when the killer strikes her for hiring a private detective. Would Inspector Furnival be able to solve the mystery of the double murders and find the criminal before it's too late?
“The Crow's Inn Tragedy” – A famous lawyer is strangled in his own office and a notorious gang of criminals is at large. What do they want and how would Inspector Furnival foil their evil plot?
“The Man with the Dark Beard” – Basil Wilton is accused of murdering his own father but is he the real killer or is the-man-with-the-dark-beard someone else known to him who is on a murdering spree?
“Who Killed Charmian Karslake?” – The riddle around the murder of Charmian Karslake, an American actress, gets murkier at every step. Can Inspector Stoddart solve this puzzle?
“The Crime at Tattenham Corner” – A gruesome death just before an important horse race looks out of place until Inspector Stoddart is called in to look into the matter.
“The Crystal Beads Murder” – A broken necklace is the sole clue for Inspector Stoddart to solve a high-profile murder until it's too late!

Annie Haynes (1865-1929) was a renowned golden age mystery writer and a contemporary of Agatha Christie, another famous crime writer. Haynes's fictions are now lauded for their quick-pace action and sustaining aura of suspense till the end." [Source]

you find information about the other books over at Annie Haynes' GOODREADS page.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey  from the beehive blogosphere...

River Thames 1959
During my last trip to England I got the opportunity to spend some hours in London including a short boat trip on river Thames. What shall I say? For me London is losing its flair. More and more skyscrapers and office buildings dominate the city. This is sad. I was born in 1959 and I was happy to find following post over at The Londonist which is about a boat trip on river Thames in 1959. How much has changed since then. Without all the film footage from the past the memory would faint.
Anyway there was one thing which annoyed me most. Seemed I was more or less the only one who did not take selfies. I wanted to enjoy old buildings but I was constantly annoyed by the these smart phone armed hordes.



A strong woman from the 19th century
The post over at Atlas Obscura delivers everything you need to know. I don't want to interfere with my humble English.


Passports
These kind of documents can tell a lot of stories.Some of them you can read over at Atlas Obscura



When a language dies
Do you think that does not happen? Then you are wrong. With every language which disappears mankind is losing something.There is an enlightening post about this topic available over at the Smithsonian Smart News



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I really look forward to play  Horizon: Zero Dawn. My copy of the game should arrive on Wednesday next week. I watched the following launch trailer on our TV screen and it looks amazing.



I'm not sure if there will ever one more update for No Man's Sky. Fortunately other programs set in space are in progress like the following one.
Genesis Alpha One





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Not every advice given in an advice column must be useless ......

"The best index to a person's character is
(a) how he treats people who can't do him any good, and
(b) how he treats people who can't fight back."

Abigail van Buren, American advice columnist, 1918 - 2013

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad your wife is doing better. That's nothing to mess with. Hope you avoid the worst of it.
Golden age murder mysteries? You'll have to let us know if they still hold up.
Here I'm sure a lot of Native American Indian languages have been lost. Very sad.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
sorry for late comment. I was on sick leave.
I really look forward to to read golden age murder mysteries. Sometimes it is great to read something without CSI, smart phones, and computers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...