Saturday, February 11, 2017

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1705

Dear Readers,

sometimes I'm lost when I look at my bookshelves or my reader. So many books I would like to read instantly. Fortunately there is my book bag which I use consequently. So far I read four of the 24 books which is not bad. But of course I read books on my reader too.
Reading is such a great pleasure and it is so satisfying. I can't imagine a world without books. The more I read the less I watch TV.
What I definitely miss is to get time for writing reviews.


ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
  2. The book bag
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Robotic bees
  2. The last Samurai
  3. How to Make Friends by Telephone from the 1940s
  4. Darwin Day

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Why Germans Can Say Things No One Else Can
  2. Greedfall
  3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms quote related to Valentine's Day
The Lighthouse
Again I finished a book. So far I read ten books in 2016. I started four books and one is from my book bag.

I finished

- Ambassador 1: Seeing Red (digital, 30th November 2013) [KINDLE ASIN: B00GL27J46] by Patty Jansen
Surprisingly good. The work of an ambassador combined with alien nations culture clash and a murder mystery is fascinating for me. Action is not always needed.



Current read

Yes, I'm reading real books.


I'm

- 206 pages in Gideon Smith and the Mask of the Ripper (October 2015) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-0765334268] by David Barnett
So far it shows less steampunk than then two previous books.

- 52 pages in of Saturn Run (pb, this edition January 2017) [ISBN-13: 978-1101987520] by John Sandford.
So far I find the story not that convincing because it is cliché-ridden.  Hopefully that will change.


My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.

- 8% done in The Railway Detective Collection: The Railway Detective, The Excursion Train, The Railway Viaduct (digital, December 2013 [Kindle ASIN: B00GW5GP9M] by Edward Marston.
This omnibus contains the first three books starring  Inspector Robert Colbeck. So far I like what I read. A clever and intelligent main character.

-13% done in The Merchant's House (digital, 20th January 2011) [KINDLE ASIN: B004JHY8J4] by Kate Ellis
I like it. Interesting characters and a good writing style.



- 16 % done in The Forgotten War (digital, 16th February 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00II69U22] by Howard Sargent
No progress



The Book Bag
This is my reading project for 2017 which has been inspired by  receiving of a digital copy of  The Heart of What Was Lost: A Novel Of Osten Ard (digital, 3rd January 2017) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M9CJ425] by Tad Williams.

I'm more than half way through book five.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week several books (digital and analog) found their way to me respectively to my shelf or my reader.
Let me that was the one and only paperback I received last week. The book description sounded promising and convinced me to buy a paperback copy of Saturn Run (pb, this edition January 2017) [ISBN-13: 978-1101987520] by John Sandford.
"In 2066, a Caltech intern notices an anomaly from a space telescope—something is approaching Saturn, and decelerating. Space objects don’t decelerate. Spaceships do...

A flurry of top-level government meetings produce the inescapable conclusion: Whatever built the ship is at least one hundred years ahead of our technology, and whoever can get their hands on it will have an advantage so large, no other nation can compete.

The race is on, and a remarkable adventure begins. Soon a hastily thrown-together crew finds its strength and wits tested against adversaries of this earth and beyond. So buckle up, because two perfectly matched storytellers are about to take you for a ride..." [Source]
The following book has been on my to buy list fro a long time. Patiently I waited for a good offer which appeared last week.
The Merchant's House (digital, 20th January 2011) [KINDLE ASIN: B004JHY8J4] by Kate Ellis
"DS Wesley Peterson, newly arrived in the West Country town of Tradmouth, has his hands full when a child goes missing and a young woman is brutally murdered on a lonely cliff path. Then his old friend, archaeologist Neil Watson, unearths the skeletons of a strangled woman and a new born baby in the cellar of an ancient merchant's house nearby. As the investigation continues, Wesley begins to suspect that these deaths, centuries apart, may be linked by age-old motives of jealousy, a sexual obsession and desperate longing. And the pressure is on if he is going to prevent a further tragedy?
Kate Ellis's wonderfully addictive series of West Country set crime novels feature Wesley Peterson, one of Devon's first black detectives." [Source]
One more crime series which is still not finished.

The next book is also a crime novel.There was this absolutely cheap offer and I was hooked by the description ....
The Birdwatcher (digital, 20th January 2011) [KINDLE ASIN: B004JHY8J4] by William Shaw.
"Police Sergeant William South has a reason for not wanting to be on the murder investigation.

He is a murderer himself.

But the victim was his only friend; like him, a passionate birdwatcher. South is warily partnered with the strong-willed Detective Sergeant Alexandra Cupidi, newly recruited to the Kent coast from London. Together they find the body, violently beaten, forced inside a wooden chest. Only rage could kill a man like this. South knows it.

But soon - too soon - they find a suspect: Donnie Fraser, a drifter from Northern Ireland. His presence in Kent disturbs William - because he knew him as a boy. If the past is catching up with him, South wants to meet it head on. For even as he desperately investigates the connections, he knows there is no crime, however duplicitous or cruel, that can compare to the great lie of his childhood.

Moving from the storm-lashed, bird-wheeling skies of the Kent Coast to the wordless war of the Troubles, The Birdwatcher is a crime novel of suspense, intelligence and powerful humanity about fathers and sons, grief and guilt and facing the darkness within." [Source]

Alchemy ..... 1878 ..... a disgraced Civil War surgeon ... resistance was futile ... Now I own a digital copy of Dr Potter's Medicine Show (digital, 7th February 2017) [KINDLE ASIN: B01N4WYJ1L] by Eric Scott Fischl.
"The year is 1878.

Dr Alexander Potter, disgraced Civil War surgeon, now snake-oil salesman, travels the Pacific Northwest with a disheartened company of strongmen, fortune-tellers, and musical whores. Under their mysterious and murderous leader they entertain the masses while hawking the Chock-a-saw Sagwa Tonic, a vital elixir touted to cure all ills both physical and spiritual. For a few unfortunate customers, however, the Sagwa offers something much, much worse." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey  from the beehive blogosphere...

Robotic bees
You may know that we face a serious problem when it comes to death and extinction of bees. Japanese research go their own way to copy with the problem. Visit Boing Boing and have a look at




The last Samurai
Most of us know Samurai from films like Seven Samurai. How did they look like in reality? Over at vintage everyday
you can look and marvel at




How to Make Friends by Telephone from the 1940s
Younger people can't imagine a time without smart phones and social media. I remember that we got our first telephone when I was around ten years old. That was 1969. Nevertheless I had a lot of friends and we met nearly every day. To make an appointment was easy. We did it when we met in school.
Anyway I think the following post over at vintage everyday is even useful nowadays




Darwin Day
The 12th of February is Darwin Day. You may know that he was born on 12th of February 1809.
Not all of us have the opportunity to visit Down House the home of Charles Darwin.
Fortunately you can have a look at some details of Darwin's Study. Visit English Heritage and have a look at


But maybe you are  a more practical person. Did you ever think about to experiment like Darwin? The English Heritage put together following





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Let me share with you the following potpourri.

I like languages even there are so many which I do not understand. I also like to discover what other people tell about my first language. Watch the following video in order to understand
Why Germans Can Say Things No One Else Can


We are just in the second month of 2017 and we get information about games to be released in 2018.
Nevertheless the first Greedfall teaser is a good one even it is a cinematic one.
For information please read
GreedFall is a Fantasy RPG with Combat, Diplomacy, and Deception

And now enjoy the teaser trailer


Unbelievable but true, Captain Jack Sparrow returns for the fifth time.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quote does not fit for me. I love it to surprise my wife with unexpected gifts ......

"On Valentine's Day, millions of men give millions of women flowers, cards and candy as a heartfelt expression of the emotion that also motivates men to observe anniversaries and birthdays: fear."

Dave Berry, American author and columnist, 1947 -

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some amazing Samurai outfits, and all just a little bit different. Some a lot different. And one woman in the mix.
As long as they make money, and they throw a lot of money at Depp, they will keep making Jack Sparrow movies.
Saturn Run sounds interesting. Imagine if that really happened?
Have a great week!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

it has been a busy week due to my business trip to England.
I used every free minute for reading.

So far Saturn Run did not convince me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...