Saturday, January 28, 2017

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1704

Dear Readers,

most of the time in the past years I avoided statements related to politics and religion because it does not belong to the purpose  of this blog.
But since 20th of January 2017 the future seems to be more uncertain than before.
The symbolic Doomsday Clock has been set to its closest time to midnight in 64 years.
For detailed information please visit

The official 2017 statement is available in PDF format and is free.
To download the statement visit either the link above or right click on
Full Statement download and choose option "Save target as".



ENJOY READING ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
  2. The book bag
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. 2.72 m (8 ft 11.1 in)
  2. The Bobbed Haired Bandit
  3. Hex, hex, hexagonalise
  4. Presentation of human history
  5. Fatal parachute jump
  6. Surgery

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. A Final Warning from George Orwell

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Instead of a quote impact of two words on book selling

The Lighthouse
I can't complain. I finished two books  and started a new one.
This is a really good start into the reading year 2017.



I finished

- The Fell Sword (pb, October 2014) [ISBN: 978-0575113343] by Miles Cameron.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The epic fantasy second book in a truly epic fantasy series. A lot of characters, twists and turns, impressive battles, and a kind of magic."


- Der totale Rausch (hc, 2015) [ISBN: 978-3462047332] by Norman Ohler.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"My wife recommended the book to me and I'm glad she did. I was not aware about the massive use of drugs in the Third Reich. I would not go that far to say the the use of drugs decided the war BUT there was definitely an impact on the war. The book is well written and delivers a lot of facts."



Current read

Yes, I'm reading real books.


I'm
- 198 pages in Kill-Devil and Water (pb, this edition 2010) [ISBN: 978-0753835976] by Andrew Pepper
Pyke is such a dogged character. If necessary he even travel to Jamaica!


My reader shows different paging. therefore I change to percentage for digital books as it is possible to see on GOODREADS.


- 16 % done in The Forgotten War (digital, 16th February 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00II69U22] by Howard Sargent
No progress




The Book Bag
This is my reading project for 2017 which has been inspired by  receiving of a digital copy of  The Heart of What Was Lost: A Novel Of Osten Ard (digital, 3rd January 2017) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B01M9CJ425] by Tad Williams.

I finished the second book and I'm now in the middle of the third book.
As we are still in the first month of 2017 I'm satisfied with my reading progress.





Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I try to fill the gaps in several series. Sometimes I need patience until I see a good offer.
Today I bought the digital copy of the sixth book in the The Inspector Robert Colbeck mystery series.
I admit that I did not read a single book in the series so far. But that may change soon ....
The Silver Locomotive Mystery (digital, December 2013 [EAN: 9780749007584 ] by Edward Marston.
"This is the Railway Detective's puzzling new case. An exquisitely designed silver coffee-pot in the shape of a locomotive is on its way to Cardiff in the care of the young, talented silversmith, Hugh Kellow. It has been commissioned by wealthy ironmaster Clifford Tomkins for his acquisitive wife, who wants it to be the envy of all her friends - and enemies. But the coffee-pot is stolen. When a gruesome murder is committed at the Railway Hotel, Winifred Tomkins is distraught. Caring little for the dead silversmith, all she can think about is her missing treasure. Inspector Colbeck and Sergeant Leeming of the Detective Department are summoned to Wales from London by telegraph and they are soon confronted by some additional crimes. The situation is complicated by the arrival of a famous theatre company and by revelations of illicit liaisons among members of the local high society. There is no shortage of suspects and Colbeck has to sift through layers of deceit to find the killer - before it is too late." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey  from the beehive blogosphere...

2.72 m (8 ft 11.1 in)
This was the height of the tallest man in medical history. No human being can jump that high. Men's high jump world record stand at 2.45 m (8 ft 12 in).
You need to see the photographs over at vintage everyday



The Bobbed Haired Bandit
To be honest I love to discover stories like the following one. This is much more interesting for me than all these fashion and styles stories. I don't tell more about it. If you want to get more information then you have to visit Atlas Obscura and read


Hex, hex, hexagonalise
For me hex respectively hexagonal is related to board games and honeycomb. We all know that towns are divided in districts. Do you know a town which is divided into hexagonal districts?  It could have happened in Victorian Era as you can read and see in following post over at the Londonist 


Presentation of human history
You find them in books, on websites, and on ....... wall charts. You must see this impressive wall chart from 1881 presented over at boingboing



Fatal parachute jump
We know that fatal parachute jumps do not happen that often. Do you know where and when the first fatal parachute jump took place?
You will find the answer over at the Londonist by reading



Surgery
This is not for the faint-hearted reader. Come back with me to Victorian Era. At time full of discoveries and inventions. It was also a time of surgical operations without proper anaesthetic. The surgeon needed good preparation in order to work fast and precise. Surgical textbooks with illustrations were rare.  Over at vintage everyday you can see some of these excellent illustrations



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Instead of a film trailer I would like to share with you
"A Final Warning from George Orwell"


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

No quote today. Instead I want to share with you a video explaining the impact of two words on the sales figures of one specific book ......

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You would think dropping an empty, weighted basket first would be better than a blind parachute jump on faith.
A hexagonal London would've only been possible in the building phase.
Doomsday or Judgement Day? Either way, not going to worry about it.
And have you seen the ads for A Cure For Wellness? Looks like one trippy movie.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

as always time will tell. We don't the future.
But we can dig into the past and enjoy some of the crazy ideas from our ancestors.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...